Below are 20 albums that either dominated my stereo this year or made such an impression that they had to be included as favorites.
This is pretty much an arbitrary list based only on what I had a chance to hear this year. There are more albums that I’m sure would have made this list if I’d have gotten a chance to give them a listen. February Records releases were purposely left off the list. For the most part I’ll let the music do the talking.
20. Love Is All – Two Thousand & Ten Injuries (Polyvinyl)
19. Teenage Fanclub – Shadows (Merge)
18. Belle and Sebastian – Write About Love (Matador)
17. Best Coast – Crazy For You (Mexican Summer)
16. One Happy Island – s/t (Oddbox)
15. Transmittens – We Disappear (WeePOP!)
14. The Salteens – Grey Eyes (Boompa)
13. Very Truly Yours – Things You Used To Say (Skywriting)
12. Milky Wimpshake – My Funny Social Crime (Fortuna POP!)
11. Eux Autres – Broken Bow (WIAIWYA)
10. The School – Loveless Unbeliever (Elefant)
9. Sourpatch – Crushin’ (HHBTM)
8. Antarctica Takes It – Constellations (HDIF?)
7. Boy Genius – Staggering (Greenpop)
6. The Secret History – The World That Never Was (Le Grand Magistery)
5. Sambassadeur – European (Labrador)
4. Betty and The Werewolves – Tea Time Favorites (Damaged Goods)
3. SHRAG – Life! Death! Prizes! (WIAIWYA)
2. Allo Darlin’ – s/t (Fortuna POP!)
1. Standard Fare – The Noyelle Beat (Thee SPC)
The debut album from Standard Fare hasn’t left my car or my ipod from the moment Emma put it in my hands. This is just a superb pop album that also knows how to rock. My favorite track is probably “I Know It’s Hard,” but check out the video for “Dancing” below.